It’s time to begin the Monthly Dares inspired by Kellyn Roth @ Reveries! I introduced them in my last post, Review of 2016, Plans for 2017. The idea is that you dare yourself to do several things throughout the month and in the next month’s dare post, you check up on them, then introduce dares for that month!
My little twist on it is that most of my dares for the month are going to be helping me to work on my 2017 resolutions. That way, I’ll be able to accomplish them and not forget about them.
Yesterday, my dad, my brother, and I all started using this website/app called Habitica, where doing good habits and tasks in real life earns you in-game experience points, equipment, gold, and so forth, and bad habits make your avatar lose health. We’ll see how it goes and if it works out for us! I think it sounds like fun.
Anyway, let’s get on with the Monthly Dares for January 2017!
*NYR stands for New Year’s Resolution
1. (NYR) Read my scriptures every morning & pray morning and night.
2. (NYR) Write in my journal at least 6 out of 7 days a week, which equates to 27 days in January; I can miss only four.
3. (NYR) Research different college majors I’m interested in, and research at least one in-state college.
4. Study at least 2 hours (30 min a week) for the pre-college test.
5. (NYR) Get my driver’s license!
6. (NYR) Catch up on my online class, which probably means doing 1 assignment every school day.
7. (NYR) Do at least 1 hour of service once a week, and try to do one small act of service every day.
8. Earn some money by doing at least 12 hours of work for my dad over the month (3 hours a week).
9. Floss every night. I don’t have a problem with brushing my teeth, but flossing them can be really hard sometimes…
10. Sing at least 4x every week to practice for my weekly voice lessons.
11. Do at least 2 hours (30 minutes a week) of Personal Progress.
12. Go to bed before 10 p.m. at least 15 times this month.
13. Do at least 2 hours (30 minutes a week) of Spanish practice with Duolingo.
14. Hand write a letter and mail it to someone
15. Try updating Habitica every day and see if it helps me to keep this goals.
1. (NYR) Read 5 books this month.
2. (NYR) Write reviews for the said 5 books on Goodreads.
3. At least one has to be one that I’ve started but not yet finished.
4. Make a Goodreads goal of 60 books for this year.
1. (NYR) Write at least 6 blog posts this month. (Wahoo, 1/6 of the way there!)
2. (NYR) Keep the sidebar updated, especially the word count for Enhanced.
3. Create the page for the Zel novel.
4. Make pretty graphics for at least 3 of the posts. (Again, yay, 1/3 of the way there!)
1. (NYR) Write 31,000 words this month (1k every day) and keep track on it on the 365K spreadsheet. (I wrote 1,653 words yesterday, so currently I’m ahead!)
2. (NYR) Write 30,000 words in Enhanced. This means I should end up writing more than 31,000 words this month, since I’m not going to be writing it on Sundays. (On Sundays, I’m working on a novel that will hopefully bring me closer to God and Christ…I may introduce that more fully for a Spotlight this month.)
3. (NYR) Write a short story or flash fiction. I have absolutely no ideas (unless I’m finishing a different, really long short story I started), so that’ll be fun.
4. Write a chapter in TC, a novel that I’m writing with a friend that should no longer be abandoned.
5. Force my friend (a different friend than from #4) to write her part in the CN (a different collaborative novel), so that we can finally finish it.
6. Ask friends & other bloggers about self-publishing vs. traditional publishing to get a better outlook on it.
I triple dog dare you to comment! (Reference, anyone?) What are some of the things you want to accomplish during this January? Are any of them the same as mine? Have you ever heard of/tried Habitica? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Do you still feel like it’s 2016 (apparently, I do!)?
Have a very happy New Year and January, and good luck with your goals & resolutions!